Pages

Friday, 14 March 2014

Anyone for a Cuppa? Tea Perfumes

As you may know, I love tea. British and Asian.... is it any wonder? My current favourite brew: Wang De Chuan osmanthus oolong, with additional floral notes both heady (Favols rose-petal jam) and musky (blue mallow). 

It brews up (85ºC water, two minutes) clear honeyed amber, and ridiculously fragrant -- subsequent infusions (with longer steeping times) are progressively richer and earthier, and I sometimes *whispers* like to add a splash of milk to round out the later ones. British, remember D:
mmmmmmmmm tea

Some of you also know that I love perfumes. (Actually too much to blog about them -- like books and music, it's an interest I share with lots of people in my offline life (an interest in these is kinda sorta a condition of having them in my life, in fact :P) so I need no additional outlet for drivel.)  But, as 'perfume' was proposed as a topic for my current all-smog-no-pictures bloggy state, here's an idiosyncratically organised list of my favourite tea fragrances, inspired equally by Gaia and Sei Shōnagon.

Smoke
Comme des Garçons Series 1: Leaves: Tea is bracingly harsh, like taking a big whiff straight from a caddy full of tarry lapsang souchong, metallic tang of the tin included.. Sadly (for me, because I find the almost chokingy smoky opening quite addictive) it almost ‘brews’ as it wears, softening into a warm, abstract vanilla & woods composition. Annick Goutal Eau De Fier is a more naturalistic take on this theme, lightened and brightened by citrus.


CB I Hate Perfume Russian Caravan Tea is another black-leaves-and-citrus brew, and my most-worn Goldilocks choice in this category (and from among CBIHP’s tea lineup too: his Cedarwood / Rose / Lavender Tea scents are too simplistic for me — more Demeter-literal than CB-evocative). There’s a gentle Lapsang smokiness here, but closer to comforting steam rather than acrid tar, moderated further by smooth, full-bodied Assam; bergamot adds a soft glow (this is an autumnal bergamot, no shrill too-bright citrus zing) and dusty woods bring a dry, refreshing quality that saves this scent from too-lush steaminess and makes it incredibly moreish. (This is a CB I prefer in the water perfume rather than the oil — the absolute is sweeter and softer, and less tea-ish.)



L’Artisan’s discontinued(!) Tea For Two does sometimes tip over into too-lush, almost chewily sweet territory, so I tend to reserve it for scarves on frosty winter days; wearing it on my sweetness-amplifying skin can be overkill. But even through the blended sweetnesses of milk, marmalade and spiced cake, the clear-as-amber tea note (supposedly Lapsang, but more Ceylon-with-tobacco to my nose) still predominates, and rings true right through to the drydown, with no over-steeped fading or muddying; Olivia Giacobetti’s genius for transparency guaranteeing clarity even in such a golden borderline gourmand. Serge Lutens’ 5 O’Clock Au Gingembre is a simpler, less quirky (so probably more likeable) evocation of the afternoon-tea-and-treats-in-a-wood-panelled-nook thing, worth a sniff if you can't get to grips with (or ahold of) TfT.




Steam
Without one of the more obviously identifiable smoky black tea notes, for me, the key element that gives a fragrance a unified tea-ness (vs remaining a more abstract composition of light floral, citrus, woods and spices) is a certain kind of luminous warmth, that evokes the airy (rather than sultry) steam curling from a freshly brewed cup. I'm not sure exactly which combinations of aromachemicals trigger the 'tea' light in my brain (some alchemy of rounded citrus+dry woods, I think), but fragrances that seem to perfectly evoke the simultaneous refreshment and comfort of tea steam include: 
Dior Escale à Pondichéry, clean India tea and optimistic jasmine;

Ava Luxe Thé Blanc / White Tea, all spring florals and first-flush silver tips, airy but never insipid, a uniquely warm, clear (rather than soft or powdery) white in my sniffing experience;

and Made In Italy Sardinia, a zippy oolong grounded by drily aromatic touches of honeysuckle, broom and ambrette.

Bvlgari's tea series also fits into this category -- highly abstract compositions once deconstructed, but reliably evocative of 'tea' even when tested on blindfolded muggles. (Yep. I did. FOR SCIENCE.) I'm not very fond of the iconic Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert (can't shake the '90s changing room associations, sorry), but often reach for my bottles of Blanc (musky woods that smell like fluffiest darjeeling mixed with dry, powdered milk) and Rouge (a husky rooibos). 

Bvlgari BLACK is another sneaky tea scent in the line: contrary to its omg so edgy innit!! marketing, it wears as an offbeat but cuddly, bergamot- and vanilla-rounded Lapsang.

Something else that unites all these fragrances (and contributes to their tea-ness for me) is a combination of translucent linearity, impressive lasting power, and subtle sillage; however light or dense the scent itself. they all sit close to the skin, but they do so all day on me.



Wisp
These are all lighter and cooler than the last category and (perhaps not quite coincidentally?) require frequent reapplication, but are lovely enough for me to persevere:

Delicately radiant: Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan -- its osmanthus all gauzy petals, abstracted from its edible creamy apricot facets, and its tea the rare silvery Yunnan biluochun rather than the more robust blacks or pu-erhs associated with the region. I much prefer it (constant re-dousing and all) to Parfum d’Empire’s Osmanthus Interdite -- the latter's greater throw and lasting power comes at the price of too much heaviness, dissonant with its notes to me. On my skin, Rose Ikebana, another Hermessence, is OY's sister scent -- more rose tea than tea rose.

L’Artisan Thé Pour Un Été, is another cool tea (supposedly green tea, but a lightly minted darjeeling to me), this time blended with jasmine -- again, all ethereally pretty petals with nary a hint of an uncouth indole.

Guerlain Tokyo is sweetest of all -- violet-spiked sencha lit from within by a glowing heliotrope-heavy rendition of Guerlain's signature base.


Nectar
Since we've run from smoking hot to elegantly cool, here are some unarguably summery iced-tea scents. I'm not usually a fan of this much unadulterated sweetness 'n' light in my fragrances, but have been finding them indispensably refreshing in humid E. Asian summers, with more character than the ubiquitous 'clean, posh-shampoo' scents or ironically acrid ozone/marine colognes.
Heeley Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St Clement’s is a fruity earl grey with enough petitgrain astringency to save it from orangeade. Still nowhere near as serious and gentlemanly-cologny as its bottle would have you think -- more fluffy Wodehouse fop.
Rosine Rose d'Été is a full-on girly afternoon tea on a gingham picnic blanket, with macarons and millefeuilles and and lashings of late-summer apple compote. Its marigold tassels say it all. Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl is its lighter, defrilled, sporty sister.
Moschino Funny! is a frosted jug of Lipton's with fresh ginger and vibrant orange -- both zest and juice.


Aaaand that's about it :) And only one product is discontinued! Some kind of record for me, I think :P Keen eyes/noses will have noted an absence of chai or maté in my selections: I'll drink both, but prefer not to smell them all day long. Though maybe I just haven't found the ones yet. Suggestions and comments as always much appreciated and adored <3

And rewarded with cake: Houjicha and cranberry roll from Muji (I told you they made snacks!).

57 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaaaaah, this is the love that I dared not speak of! I'm a beginner tea drinker and haven't ventured much beyond orange pekoe and earl grey. But that Russian Caravan Tea and the Heeley have been on my wish list for a year now and you've STOKED THE FIRE. Really glad you decided to drivel it all out anyway. Also on top of my tea scented wish list are Penhaligon's Earl Grey Candle (too giant to lug from Singapore with me the fateful day I perchanced to sniff it) and Jo Malone Earl Grey & Cucumber (really vacant and fragile but so much earl greyed goodness).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz! I am a noob in so many ways. I try to taste as many new kinds as I can when in Asia but trying to juggle that teeny gongfucha ware results in DISASTER, every time.
      Aptest use of the word 'vacant' in frag description ever. <3

      Delete
  2. Aaaah, tea! I get my brews from a French boutique that sells online they're called Le Parti du Thé and have fantastic mixes from all over the world. They have some serious rooibos(es?), which is my drink of choice because it's caffeine free.

    Fragrance wise I used to wear the Body Shop Lemon Tea fragrance. Yeah, very basic, I didn't know much about perfume back then. I smelled a delicious Earl Grey cologne from Jo Malone earlier this week. Tea scents are less my cuppa (pun not really intended) nowadays but some are seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a lovely boutique! I find French brands/shops often have a wonderful range of Russian teas. Kusmi recently opened a shop in central London, so I've been sampling their blends :)
      I think all edible/drinkable scents are a bit tricky -- I love caaaaake, ofc, but I don't want my perfume messing with the taste of the ACTUAL cake I'm eating, etc. I drink so much tea that it's not an issue with this particular genre, though :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a tea lover too! Can't take coffee so tea is my poison. My fav western flavour is Earl Grey French Blue, or any Earl Grey really. Don't have a particular fav asian one, love 'em all, but I more or less survived Uni on steamed rice seeped in Genmai-cha and if I have the time, I'll throw in some cooked salmon bits.
    Never realized there were so many tea-based perfumes out there! Gonna have to check those out! The only one that comes to mind for me is Elizabeth Arden's one, which was a fav of mine in my teens, but I grew out of it. Most recently, I'm loving Heyland & Whittle's Green Tea & Grapefruit candle and diffuser. Love me some citrus scents, and the added tea fragrance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariage Frères make such insanely fragrant blends! I must try that Earl Grey -- love cornflower notes in my teas!
      Also adore Genmaicha! Sadly I've not found a fragrance that nails grain notes without being too cloying :/ But the scent of genmaicha filling a low-beamed traditional Japanese room (with tatami) must be one of my favourite smells in the world.
      I have no idea why I'm not into candles. I should be! Will try and track that one down -- sounds v fresh.

      Delete
    2. Another fan of Earl Grey here too, obsessed enough to blend my own Buckingham ^.^''

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, I love! I have a draft of my own tea picks but now I daren't. I have wondered about that Heeley and now I think I must have it - the CB as well! Love tea in all its forms. Rampant tea drinker. Although I suppose coffee is a close second, but I cannot stand coffee in perfume...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO EET <3
      The only coffee perfume I like is Ava Luxe's Café Noir. The others are all horrible cigarette-ash or cloying coconutty frappuchino messes. I wonder if you've ever sniffed Sonia Rykiel Belle en Rykiel? It's supposedly got a coffee base, but it's so well blended I suspect v few could pick it out -- totally a princess + the pea situation.

      Delete
  5. You are such a tea connoisseur, Kate! I like tea as well, but mostly "Western" stuff. My favorites for the moment include Yogi Ginger (it's not technically speaking tea, but the concept is similar so I'm going to make it count), Palais des Thés Thé des Lords, Mariages Freres Wedding Imperial, and Mariages Freres Rouge Bourbon (it's a rooibos which I also adore). I don't think I own many fragrances that have tea notes though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Western' teas are my home base :) PdT and MF are two of my favourite 'houses' too (Thé des Lords is such a sunny delight -- hehe, see what I did there) and I envy your easy access to them!
      And tisanes totally count! I've been drinking more yujacha (i.e. Korean cough syrup) than anything else lately, to be honest *coughs pitifully*

      Delete
    2. fruit tisane + yujacha = berry cough syrup I slug by the mug, hot or cold, coughing or not ^.^

      Delete
  6. CB's perfume has been on my list for a long time, as I really want a perfume that would smell like black tea, preferably with lemon/sugar, but I faild to find anything like it. Comme des garcons turned out to be completely different from what I've expected. Another one I like was Tourbillon de thé (by Esteban), but I can't find it in stores anymore, and I've never ordered perfume online (only samples), most retailers don't even have international delivery. I'm also thinking about Demeter Earl Grey Tea, but it is so fugacious..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea accords are surprisingly tricky, I agree. Have you tried Bvlgari Thé Rouge already? Probably more easily accessible and it's a simple lemmony black tea on some people, I know. Definitely rooibos on me, though.
      Tightened shipping regulations have really put a damper on my perfume hobby, too :/ So many indie US perfumes I will never be able to try....

      Delete
  7. I've followed your blog for some months now (daily, that is, since discovering it...) and with this post I feel the urge to put it out there: You. Are. Great. I have so much fun reading you! I am a no-makeup makeup kind of person (who only wears black :/ ), but since I stumbled upon your blog several bright colours have made their way into my makeup drawer. Living in Sweden, this also means that I always end up looking at ridiculously complicated shipment solutions and what not after reading your posts. Big fan, that is. Keep it coming. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 You. Made. My. Day!
      And Sweden is the home of Make Up Store, Face Stockholm and ridiculously cool beauties (who, yes, wear all black!) *side-eyes you*

      Delete
  8. Hey MUS you should try the teas they have at yautcha in Soho - I love the Orchid tea and the Silver needle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must! Thanks for the heads up :) I always get distracted by mooli puffs and fab-looking-but-always-disappointing pastries in there

      Delete
  9. I LOVE tea fragrances! And I would NEVER want to smell like chai, bleurgh sweet milk barf.

    I'm nervously skirting my way around the perfume rabbit hole, into which I dipped my toe around the time I became a nail polish fanatic. I was shuffling between countries and was NOT happy about moving all those bottles (and books! groan) around. But I have a sentimental fondness for the over-marketed perfumes of the 90s, especially the thin, watery, ozonic stuff--Bvlgari green tea, ck one, L'eau d'Issey, Davidoff Cool Water, Acqua Di Gio, Liz Claiborne, and that tea perfume you so criminally overlooked: Tommy Girl. XD I've gone through multiple bottles of Bvlgari au the vert because back when I was a one-bottle Young Adult, it was all that I wore, so friends and family came to believe that it was a favourite and they kept giving bottles of it as presents. I still like it--it's harmless and inoffensive (I once read that it was the only scent permitted in fussy sushi restaurants in Japan, but it's probs apocryphal), and when I go home to the tropics, it's the one scent that makes me like I've showered hours after the fact.

    I'm frantically working my way through the last few milimetres of what will definitely be my last bottle of au the vert in a VERY long while. I do want an osmanthus fragrance though--deciding between Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus (sampled) and Osmanthus Yunnan (unsampled), and am tilting towards OY. What say you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I spilt some of my HK custard tart ice cream down my arm t'other day and got to try it out XD

      Ozone mostly gives me a headache, so IDK if I can be fair evaluating them. I do like my share of offbeat aquatics, though! So no judgement :P YOU ARE SO RIGHT about Tommy Girl, zomg. Edited post to reflect.

      OJ and OY are SO different, almost polar opposites, in fact! I mostly get an achingly sweet neon lime from the OJ, and one tiny spritz will linger for DAYS on me. Whereas OY is all watery Lin Dai Yu ish wilty whisper. Hard to say, my dear.

      Delete
    2. wait! I forgot. The Different Company Osmanthus? Haz you tried? Kind of a halfway house between the OJ and Hermes -- very clean and realistic osmanthus soliflore.

      Delete
    3. Holy run on sentences re: my original comment! I want to go back and repunctuate. Y u no let me, blogger??

      Yes, I've tried TDC Osmanthus but it left me cold--many of the TDC perfumes do. I don't know why. The only thing that I liked a lot was Divine Bergamot, and I tried SEW HARD to make myself like Sel Vetiver because I lurved the concept. :P

      I see below that you said that Byredo Seven Veils smells like Pei Pa Koa?? *squeaks* I really want a perfume that evokes a Chinese apothecary--all liquorice and ginseng and wolfberries and osmanthus. Hoping and prayinggggg. :D

      Delete
  10. I am a coffee drinker and a snob at that but I have been appreciative of tea a lot more lately.
    Really enjoyed reading about all these tea scents.
    Ava-Luxe White Tea didn't really work on me when I tried a sample vial, but I'm glad to know you're familiar with this talented e-tailer perfumer. I like her musks and White Musk is my favorite.
    Bvlgari tea scents all play well on me as most Bvlgari scents would.
    But my favorite tea scent in my wardrobe is Thé Vert from Lothantique. It is earthy and herbal (almost like the Chinese apothecary, and I always feel like going to a local library filled with old scores when I wear this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ava Luxe :) And she does have a fantastic way with musks -- not usually my favourites, but her Gardenia Musk and Madame X won me over.
      Thank you for the Lothantique recommendation -- camphorous apothecary scents are some of my very favourites! Out of curiosity, have you ever tested Byredo Seven Veils? I seem to be unique in this, but it's uncannily just like Pei Pa Koa (that Chinese herbal cough syrup) on me.

      Delete
    2. No. I don't think I'm familiar with the scent. Sounds like a tricky one! I have this strong desire to rock niche unique scents, but sadly main stream boring floral smells best on me. LOL.
      BTW, have you tried Sonoma Scent Studio? They also have beautiful hand-poured perfume (reasonably priced, too)
      Ah, I am a recovered scent junkie and I forgot how fun it is to talk about perfume (and any scent). Blogging in second language always limits me, I don't get to write about perfume that often.
      Anyway, I will look forward to your occasion drivels on perfume.
      Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
    3. Wait, I just found a big bottle of Min Jiom Pei Pa Koa on my cupboard. Love this syrup. Saved me many times, too! ;D

      Delete
    4. :) Happy coming weekend!
      I adore that stuff, especially found at the back of cupboards when it's gone EXTRA-sticky :D I could eat that stuff all day.

      Delete
  11. You are amazing. This post is wonderful!! I have been wanting to sniff out the Hermès Osmanthe for a while now. I CANNOT wait to check out WDC in Taipei!! (In HK now *waves*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Eat all the things, dear Amy! You can test the Hermessences in Harbour City, I think :)

      Delete
  12. Tea scents are my favorites! I adore Escale a Pondichery. I get a strong tea scent on the drydown with Fresh's Cannabis Rose, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, L :) My skin doesn't like the Fresh base sadly, but my mother loves Cannabis Rose -- I suspect it's the tea, as she's not a fan of rose in general.

      Delete
  13. Tea! My fave drink, chai and all. Sadly, I only have two places in my heart for tea perfumes: L'Artisan TfT (WHY?? WHY??) and Bulgari The Vert. The rest, I feel, fade in comparison to the originality & creativity of these two. I haven't sniffed the Hermessence though, so I have a bit of hope. On the flip side, have you read about Guerlain's flavored tea (from Bois de Jasmin http://boisdejasmin.com/2013/12/guerlain-flavored-tea-collection.html) Dying to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For creativity I think the CdG can't be beat! :) Whether one wants to wear it is another matter... CdG Kyoto also has a sneaky tea note at times, though it's mostly ink and cypress. Also very unique.

      I did hear about those teas! I have become quite a China tea snob, and wonder about their sourcing, though Orchidée Imperiale sounds intriguing -- never tried an orchid tea before.

      Delete
    2. CdG perfumes is another beast all together, I ordered loads of samples from Luckyscent and yet to find one that agrees with me/my skin.

      I can understand being a China tea snob; there's nothing better than Chinese oolong teas!

      Delete
    3. Body chemistry is so tricky!
      I've become snobby about GRADES of China teas D: Having travelled a bit in Yunnan I am seriously sceptical as to whether Guerlain or any non-Chinese house can acquire even moderately good quality leaves.

      Delete
  14. I love tea too! I love Chinese tea, to be exact :-) I can't drink tea with milk and sugar at all >_< There are so many types of Chinese tea and I love all of them. especially those that have bitter aftertaste. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy bitterness too! (Hmm, that came out wrong...) Spicy bitter melon paired with some Sichuan Ku Ding -- mmm mouth-puckering goodness!

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful post: I love theme-inspired frangances. R.I Linden has a beauty tea which unfortunately doesn't help that much on me but tastes so divine and makes you feel calm. I'm also a fan of Pukka's Forever Young: that one helps! Ok, not really but amazing too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol beauty teas always taste foul to me! I'm sure it's playing on the deep-seated superstition that what does you good must entail suffering :P

      Delete
  16. Oh god, as if I needed another reason to have a major girl crush on you! Tea and perfume? Gah! I love me a good coffee, but tea, tea is home. I drink tea like water and start to panic when I'm running low. I haven't ventured to far into tea perfume though since I'm also a sweet amplifier... and really love a good dose of skank in my scents! I actually read a review of my favorite scent (SL musc koublai khan) compared to an unwashed sac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Chelsea! I'm not only a sickly sweetener, I'm a de-skankifier! D: MKK is a soft cosy marshmallow-powder kind of scent on me!
      (PS attempting to make a colourblocked dress. Need your piecing skillz, kthanks.)

      Delete
  17. I grew up drinking tea & could never understand why someone would adulterate it with milk until I tried British tea... oh dear. Still muchly prefer Chinese oolongs & pu erhs or super in-yo-face fruity tisanes & jasmines (because my tastes are weird & I manage to be both tea snob & heathen).

    Something about most commercial perfumes a) smell really generic & b) trigger massive headaches for me, which makes me sad because I loooove the idea of perfumes. Every time I read about a perfume, I go "OOOOH THAT SOUNDS NICE!" & then I remember that I'm not alloooowed. /whine I do love what CB I Hate Perfume I've tried, though, & am now much tempted by the Russian Caravan. :) Do you have any other recs from his stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....get out! :D I don't like fruit teas but love florals. In Taiwanese teashops I beeline for those touristy floral blends, lol

      CBIHP is one of my most-worn houses! Other than RCT, I also own Violet Empire, Wild Pansy, Under the Arbor, Wild Hunt, Black March and Mr Hulot's Holiday. And I keep going through decants of Eternal Return so should probably shell out for some soon....
      I wonder if you'd have better luck with oil-based indie perfumers? Sadly most of THOSE don't work on me so I am left to the more prosaic joys of commercial frags :/ I would love to wear Sonoma Scent Studio or For Strange Women, for ex!

      Delete
  18. What an ode to tea fragrances! This is a v sophisticated list of perfumes but I wonder what you think of Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger which has a prominent camellia tea note that had the perfume industry buzzing back in the late 90s? I like it for v hot weather as it is v green and crisp....but everything else like the name and packaging make this a guilty pleasure lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added it, after Shryh's comment above :) I do like it, but it falls between two stools for me (not as all-out as Rose d'Été, not as crisp as Oranges&Lemons...) and I'm trying to keep my perfume stash under control!

      Delete
  19. awesome post! I love tea, perfume with notes of tea and flowers (particularly Jasmine) are loves =) time to make my cup of tea as we speak or should I say as I typeteaaaa.......
    **ps. muji makes snacks??!!! Hoji cake!! must try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I ADORE Muji snacks! I think they're only sold in some Asian countries, though. Certainly not available in the UK :( Maybe I should post about my favourite Muji snacks, lol

      Delete
  20. Must try these, although I usually want more verisimilitude than tea perfumes have. I do like both Osmanthe Yunnan AND Osmanthus Interdite. From time to time I almost even buy one of them or the other. I think I have a sample of the Comme des Garcons somewhere. I'll have to dig it out as soon as infernal allergy season ends. I'm also happy to see that someone else prefers Bvlgari Blanc to Vert.

    As for tea proper, I prefer it on the Lapsang end of the spectrum. If someone complains that a tea "tastes like burning logs" I am so there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellll I do strew half-finished cold cups of tea of various descriptions in my wake... you say slatternly habits, I say Spontaneous Olfactory Landscape...

      I bet you'd revel in all the Pu-erhs that leave me choking. I swear the tea market people hold a competition to find the foulest ones to test on me whenever I go by >:(

      Delete
  21. Tea scents! Now there's something that could actually appeal to me. I recently started feeling very headachey after using all the sweet perfumes that've been gifted to me. Jasmine + tea scents sound absolutely wonderful. I shall bookmark this to read later! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eek, your travails in the Chinese gift economy :(

      Delete
  22. For a mate perfume fix I love me some Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate - minty top notes, mate and hay. Actually there's something in the heart and base of Shalimar Parfum Initial that gives it a similar feel, but without the minty-green facet the Villoresi has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the thoughtful recommendation :) I'm laughing because I have trouble with mint, mate AND hay notes :D CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

      Delete
  23. Tea and tea perfumes! Two of my most treasured delights. And how fun to read your take on a few fragrances. You mentioned one of my all-time favorite scents, Osmanthe Yunnan. So, so perfect. I also love (and happily own a nearly full bottle of) T42 as well as Russian Caravan, SL 5:00 au Gingembre, and The Pour un Ete. Not to mention Bvlgari's The Vert--despite its 90s overwhelm, it makes me happy. But that Heeley…I'm periodically gripped with the need to try it and I then forget about it completely. You've put it back on my radar and this time I really have to sample it. Thanks for the reminder. And for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, you have very well explained about the Tea and the tea perfumes. Also, you have listed a few of my most favorite perfumes and fragrances and I feel to to see listed my favorite ones here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ahhhh amazing. I really want to find a tea scent that i love. there's a heeley one i like but on me doesn't seem to wear as well as i would hope. :/ anyway, I have to try a bunch of these now!! :)

    ReplyDelete